Privacy and hiding your identity
It’s a good idea to keep as much privacy as possible towards the bookmakers when you’re using profitable betting products.
Step one is to hide your IP number and making it harder to uniquely identify (“fingerprint”) you. The first rule is to use a VPN service. VPN stands for “virtual private network” and means that all your internet traffic goes through a “tunnel” that secures, encrypts and anonymizes you and your location.
Why you should use a VPN
- If you want to create a second account on a bookmaker, you need to use a different IP-number if you want to avoid suspicion.
- If you want to register on a bookmaker that has restricted your country, a VPN can make it look like you’re located somewhere else.
- Allows you to place bets from restricted countries with censorship.
- If you’re labeled as an expert trader by one bookmaker, you might get limited by others if they can uniquely identify you. There are rumors of bookmakers working together to identify unwanted players. Using a VPN and the tips below will help you stay unlimited for longer in these cases.
- View restricted streaming services and TV channels that are blocked in your country.
- Your traffic is never logged and cannot be traced.
We have done a thorough comparison of all VPN services and can strongly recommend NordVPN. For a thorough explanation of why, read our review of NordVPN and get a 77% discount!
Clear all cookies between sessions. Bookmakers can track you through third-party sites like advertising networks and social media.
Do this: Make a special shortcut to start a web browser in private / incognito mode.
Hide your social media identity. Never use your social media email when registering with bookmakers. They can and will profile you and your network. If you follow a known sports trader on Twitter, that might be enough to label you as unwanted.
Do this: If you’re surfing using RebelBetting, you’re safe. We use a completely separate web browser, with cookies and cache files that are never shared with your regular web browser. If using a web browser, use the clear cookies method above.
If you have multiple accounts, you need to take extra precautions. Don’t use the bookmakers’ mobile app (they have multiple ways of detecting you, including GPS location). Be even more careful with clearing cookies, preferably use another Windows (a virtual PC is a simple method) or at the minimum another web browser. Always use a VPN and change IP between logins. Use different deposit and withdrawal methods.
It’s very easy to detect if you’re using the same web browser on the same computer for example. Bookmakers can even detect the fonts you have installed in your OS. Use this fingerprint checker.
If you use a VPN and these tips, you will be as safe as is practically possible. If you want even more protection, you can set up one or several virtual machines with a clean installation of the most common Windows OS and web browser.
If you haven’t already, set up a VPN now!